Thursday, March 4, 2010

Latino cultural intersection

Last week a woman came into the gallery and was looking at the current show of paintings by Blanca Santander. She pointed to one which had a depiction of the Cordillera de los Andes. I asked if she'd spent time in that part of the world and she said mainly in Santiago de Chile. When I mentioned that I had just been playing music by Inti-Illimani, she said that she was completing her dissertation on "La nueva canciĆ³n chilena". I asked where she was doing her work and she replied UC Davis. "That's interesting," I said. "About four years ago I was in Santiago and, taking the shuttle to the airport, I talked to a woman who was researching the same topic. In fact, she recommended the musical group Illapu which has became one of my favorites after I bought a CD of their music at the Santiago airport." "That was probably me," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment